feedburner

Subscribe to Our Email Newsletter



feedburner count

State of a Confused Mind

Categories:



Some days ago, We had our fest in our college. One of the organizers approached me and asked me if I could prepare a playlist so as to fit a Fashion show as he was not happy with the one the choreographer had made. I said okie as he was one of my best friends, so why not do it. I heard the whole concept of their fashion show and also heard the songs selected for the show. The first song was good so I continued and heard the other songs but I was suprised more in the sense shocked at the selection of the songs the choreographer had selected, it was completely rock and jazz. I didnt know in what state of mind did he select such songs. I told my friend that these songs will not work for show as the feel will be completely different.

Imagine a traditional fashion show with rock playing background. Ya you guessed it right, these are the right ingredients for a disaster. I told my friend the same and he agreed to it and told me to start afresh. I went searching for songs everywhere, through my collection, on the net, enquired my friends etc etc. Finally I came up with a playlist full of Indian songs suiting exactly to the theme of the show and showed it to him. My friend was overjoyed hearing the songs. He told me that it was awesome and thanked me a lot. I felt happy at his reaction and appreciation for my hard work. But my joy was shortlived as he came back the next day and told me that the choreographer had rejected all the songs saying that the songs are not good. He also added that all other members in the team just loved my music and only the choreographer had problems with it. I told him that it was his wish whether he wants to choose the songs or not. He was in a dilemma as he wanted to choose my songs but could not bcoz of the choreographer. After some days, he told me that he has coaxed his choreographer and managed to add a few songs of my playlist.

Finally the day of the show arrived, I went to see that show, I was particularly curious as to how the choreographer had fit rock and jazz in a traditional show. The show started. The first two round went on smoothly as the lone song I had liked in his playlist and one of my songs were used in it. But when the third sequence started, as I had contemplated, it was very bad to see traditional with Rock background. I thanked god that the show ended very soon. After the customary praise and calculated adulation shared with the fashion team. I went back home that night and sat on my bed. Something was bothering me. I asked myself if a part of me was secretly happy that fashion show was a disaster. Was I happy that a competitor might have erred in his selection? And the truth is, I was happy, and that made me feel sick.

It doesn’t really matter how hard you introspect for that answer, the reality I guess is that it is in human nature to be jealous of someone for his or her success. Here I was, feeling pleasure from a classmate’s imminent pain that his show flopped.

Why is it so easy, so natural for people to feel a tinge of excitement when another person misses the mark with their work? Why does a section of people secretly wish that you fail so that you can be branded as a failure and they succeed. What’s the matter with us?

We are all very competitive in the world so as to establish a mark in the world, and that spirit is exhilarating and bold. But how much more evolved would we be if we collectively took the blame for a flopped idea or a flopped project.

Idealistic, I know. It’s too tempting to relish someone else’s failures, but if we could turn that jealousy into a more acceptable envy, I think we’d could achieve solidarity very easily.




6 comments:
gravatar
your reason to live said...
July 10, 2008 1:09 PM  

It is very true point. All of us enjoy only at the level of out ego.
If we could "upgrade" the ego to the "next" level we could probably achieve group shared fillings.

gravatar
Lulu said...
July 19, 2008 3:39 AM  

So true!! Being a law and psychology student, we reasearched the concept of "schadenfreude", or the feeling of enjoying someone else's failure... its interesting how there are biological and coginitive roots regarding this state of mind!

You raise such an interesting point :) good article

chek out my blog if you want a laugh:
http://days-of-war-nights-of-love.blogspot.com/

gravatar
Vikas SN said...
July 28, 2008 3:41 AM  

@lulu
Thanks for your compliments
Will check your blog soon

@your reason to live
Yup you are right

gravatar
Mohammad Zaid said...
July 29, 2008 2:44 PM  

yeah sure it is a damn truth that we feel satisfaction in the failures of others,and i suppose it mainly happens only when we are at the same level of others and may be due to some act we are fearing that the other person wil be getiing more atention than ours.

gravatar
Vikas SN said...
August 05, 2008 7:27 PM  

Thanks for the comment mohd :)

gravatar
akd said...
February 07, 2009 8:25 PM  

Buddy its called human nature. When the competition is between same level, there is an ego which tries to hurt the other.

Its very difficult to get rid of it.....

Read my blog....
http://asitinblogzone.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment